- Why it’s worth it: This corner-store sized, charmingly petite cafe serves simple, delicious and inexpensive French fare, not to mention the best croque madame we’ve ever had (and yes we’ve been to France). You’ll know Tartine by the green awning, sidewalk tables and notoriously long lines on the weekends.
- Vibe/Layout: Tartine has all of about 15 seats and has been in the neighborhood for two decades, making it a cozy and homey go-to spot. Don’t expect much leg room though, especially if you score a table on the sidewalk.
- Ideal meal: Croque madame ($14) or croque monsieur ($14)
- When to go: If you have a random day off from work, or work in the area, head to Tartine for lunch or for a darling croissant.
- ‘Straunt tip: BYOB alert! … But it gets better….there’s no corkage fee either!
- Address: West Village, 253 West 11th St (corner of West 4th St)
- Prices: $8-$25