This is a tiny old-fashioned candy shop full of candy you love, candy you’ve never heard of and candy you probably can’t figure out how to pronounce. But you’re going to love it. You might leave this store with bags… or pounds… of candy, but it’s okay, because you’re going to be really happy and nostalgic… and it’s all very high quality. Every candy you remember from your childhood – and didn’t believe was still in existence – is alive and well at The Sweet Shop.
- Why it’s worth it: It’s everything you could possibly want in one storefront: a candy store and an ice cream shop. There is something for everyone here, from super modern ice cream and gelato flavors to retro sweets, including sugar, nut and gluten free items.
- Vibe/layout: The shop has whimsical boutique-y vibe to it that makes it a gem on the UES, a downtown-y shop magically transported uptown. Outfitted in all things candy, including a handmade candy chandelier (by the owner) and a commissioned candy mirror, The Sweet Shop is decked out from ceiling to floor in personality.
- Ideal meal: Everything.
- Sweets: Jars of chocolate covered bacon and Oreos, sour watermelon and designed marshmallows, in addition to imported sweets from England and Sweden
- Ice cream: Ice cream, gelato and sorbet from Oddfellows in Brooklyn and Il Laboratorio del Gelato; vegan ice cream (yes we said vegan ice cream) from Alchemy Creamery
- People behind the ‘straunt: This shop is owned and operated by family man, Kelly Jamie, who makes all the in-house goods, his wife, Glyn, who designed the shop, and their son, Matt, who works and socializes by his parents’ sides.
- F.Y.I.: This is more than just a candy shop; this is a home base. So much so, that one man, who consistently gets in “trouble” from his significant other for sneaking down to the candy store for an evening snack, proposed to his fiancé in the shop! …We should also mention that 3KT (Terese Giudice’s daughters’ band) featured this shop in their music video Season of Joy.
- Address: Upper East Side, 404 East 73rd St (between York & 1st)
- Prices: Dependent on items purchased. Watch out, they have a loyalty card.