Apothéke is the healer of all your ailments. Think mad scientist meets mixologists meets opium dispensary, full of fancy laboratory gear to emphasize the medicinal qualities of nine types of cocktails: Health & Beauty, Stress Relievers (incorporating lavender, sage, etc), Pain Killers (tequila and spices), Stimulants, Aphrodisiacs (champagnes and cognacs), Pharmaceuticals, Euphoric Enhancers, Therapeutic Treatments and House Remedies.
- Getting in: The spot is marked by a “Gold Flower Restaurant” sign and a dapper doorman.
- Vibe/Layout: This small and dimly lit speakeasy looks like a chemistry project and has a decadent and stylish feel, with comfy velvet sofas and chairs lining the bare brick walls. The mixologists, dressed in white lab coats, stand behind the large marble bar mixing labeled and unlabeled glass jars, filled with elixirs and herbs, constructing the perfect “prescription” for any ailment.
- Tunes: Cool and relaxed music; there is a weekly line-up of live jazz performances on Mondays, Tuesdays and Sundays. “Prohibition Wednesdays” feature a house jazz band and require a password for entrance (follow @apothekenyc on Twitter for the month’s equivalent to “open sesame”)
- Drinks: Dr. Ruth ($15-$18, California strawberries, vodka, rosemary, agave nectar, lime, champagne) or Fields of Heather ($15-$18, Heather Tips, Vodka, White Peach, Raspberries, Lavender, Limoncello, Lime)
- F.Y.I.: All of the ingredients are made in-house daily using local and organic produce and herbs from their rooftop garden.
- Straunt tip: Grab dinner at Nom Wah Tea Parlor and then head over to Apotheke to grab a relaxed drink. Save at Nom Wah and splurge here!
- Address: Chinatown, 9 Doyers Street
- Prices: $14-$20