Take a closer look at the back wall of Chelsea’s Stone Street Coffee Company and you’ll find it opens to reveal a low-lit speakeasy, the Bathtub Gin. A copper bathtub takes center stage in this ‘straunt and leaves no question as to the source of the bar’s inspiration.
- Getting in: A bouncer blocks the door to the coffee shop, where in theory walk-ins are welcome, but reservations (even last-minute ones) are highly recommended.
- Vibe/Layout: The unmarked door leads into a smallish bar with damask wallpaper, pressed tin ceilings and silk couches. Grab a seat at the high-top tables in the front near the bar or sink into one of the speakeasy’s plush, damask banquettes.
- Tunes: Jazz plays early in the evening and gives way to hip-hop and dance music later in the evening.
- Drinks: Dapper bartenders serve elaborate cocktails, including gin- and champagne-based cocktails.
- Address: 132 9th Ave (between 18th St & 19th St)
- Prices: $12-$18