Want to experience a Mario Batali ‘straunt, but don’t want to break the bank or dip into next month’s rent check? We’ve got just the ‘straunt for you: Otto.
- Why it’s worth it: Conveniently located just past Washington Square Park, and a few blocks from NYU, Mario Batali’s Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria is a great place to grab a meal. Whether you are going on a date, hanging out with friends or taking your visiting family to Otto’s, you are sure to find something that everyone will enjoy. Otto offers salads, appetizers (meat, vegetable, fish or cheese), pizza, pasta and an extensive wine collection.
- Vibe/Layout: Beyond its revolving front door is a wine bar and elevated tables that help to set up the atmosphere for the large interior. The middle section of the ‘straunt is finished with red walls and wooden tables and provides a more intimate feel with tables of 2 and 4. The back section of the ‘straunt is bustling and chatty and ideal for hosting larger parties.
- Ideal meal: Caprese salad ($8), pane frattau pizza ($13) (tomato, pecorino, egg) and milk chocolate chip gelato (special thanks to my mom for teaching me to always leave room for dessert)
- F.Y.I.: This ‘straunt is modeled off of a train station, such that, upon checking in, your group will be given the name of a city and you watch the train schedule board click away until your reservation is called. In addition, “Otto Enoteca” actually means wine bar and offers more than 700 types of vino.
- Address: Greenwich Village, 1 5th Avenue (on 8th St and 5th Ave)