- Why it’s worth it: Ovest Pizzoteca (pizzeria, paninoteca, and enoteca all in one), located right by the High Line, boasts a wood-and-gas burning oven for its signature thin crust pies and is perfect for a date or dinner with friends.
- Vibe: This cozy and dimly lit establishment is hip and casual.
- Layout: Immediately upon entering the open front ‘straunt, there is a small bar area where you can sit with friends while enjoying a drink. Past the bar is the eating area, where you can watch a chef make your pizza and then place it in the …wait for it…wood-and-gas burning oven in the wall!
- Ideal meal: Pizza. Duh! Any of the following: Arugola ($12/$20), Bufala ($10/$17), Caprese ($11/$19)
- People behind Ovest: Michele Iuliano is the man behind the ovens at Luzzo’s Group – a family of southern Italian ‘straunts, including Luzzo’s (E. Vill), Ovest Pizzoteca (Chelsea), Da Mikele (Tribeca) and Luzzo’s BK (Brooklyn Heights). Trained in Naples, Italy, Iuliano has created an ever-expanding empire of southern Italian ‘straunts that lean heavily on sincere Neapolitan techniques.
- Address: Chelsea, 513 W. 27th St. (near 10th Ave.)
- Prices: $9-$30